The Wizard of Oz
“There’s no place like home.” – Dorothy Gale
Two Rivers Musical Productions is proud to present the unforgettable tale of Dorothy, her little dog Toto and their magical journey down the Yellow Brick Road to find the way back home. The Wizard of Oz is based on the classic story by L. Frank Baum, immortalized in the Oscar-winning 1939 film and adapted to the stage for this entertaining production.
- Music and Lyrics by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg
- Background Music by Herbert Stothart
- Dance and Vocal Arrangements by Peter Howard
- Orchestration by Larry Wilcox
- Adapted by John Kane for the Royal Shakespeare Company
- Based upon the Classical Motion Picture owned by Turner Entertainment Co. and distributed in all media by Warner Bros.
The Wizard of Oz chronicles the journey of a young farm girl who is transported to a land far away after a tornado hits her family home. When Dorothy steps out of her door into the magical land of Oz, she discovers that she’s “not in Kansas anymore.” She soon meets Glinda, the Witch of the North and learns that her house landed on – and killed – the Wicked Witch of the East. At Glinda’s urging, Dorothy dons the dead witch’s ruby slippers and sets off with Toto down the Yellow Brick Road to the Emerald City, in a quest to find the all-powerful Wizard of Oz to help them get back home. Along the way, they encounter a motley cast of characters, see strange new lands and try to escape the wrath of the Wicked Witch of the West.
The enchanting production features an Oscar-winning score with some of the most recognized and beloved songs of all time, including: Over the Rainbow, Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead and We’re off to See the Wizard.
THE WIZARD OF OZ is presented through special arrangement with Tams-Witmark Music Library, Inc., 560 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY, www.tams-witmark.com.
Cast of Characters
Cast Type: Ensemble cast – star young female role, older male and female roles
Cast Notes: Large chorus, mix of ages
Dance requirement: Standard (musical staging/some dance)
- Dorothy Gale – a young Kansas farm girl.
- Aunt Em – Dorothy’s aunt.
- Uncle Henry – Dorothy’s uncle.
- Zeke/Cowardly Lion – Farm hand/Lion looking for courage.
- Hickory/Tin Man – Farm hand/Tin man looking for a heart.
- Hunk/Scarecrow – Farm hand/Scarecrow looking for a brain.
- Miss Almira Gulch/Wicked Witch of the West – neighbor who hates Toto/nasty witch who pursues Dorothy for killing her sister, the Wicked Witch of the East.
- Professor Chester Marvel/Wizard of Oz – kindly neighbor who advises Dorothy/all-powerful Wizard.
- Glinda, Witch Of The North – good witch who helps Dorothy in Oz.
- Munchkins – residents of Oz who think Dorothy is their savior for killing the evil witch.
Other Cast and Chorus
- Tiny Tots (“The Lullaby League”)
- Tough Guys (“The Lollypop Guild”)
- Sunshine Girl
- Nikko, Commander Of The Monkeys
- Citizens of Oz